As You Like It (The New Folger Library Shakespeare)

As You Like It - William Shakespeare The fun of Shakespeare's comedies isn't in the plots but in the pure genius of his language. Many of his best lines have become such staples of common usage that most people aren't even aware they're quoting Shakespeare. If they DO know, you can forget about asking them which plays the lines come from. I find an intensely perverse pleasure in Shakespeare's inventive insults. I can only DREAM of thinking up such clever quips and comebacks in the heat of an argument. And if I could think them up, I wouldn't have the nerve to use them. As You Like It has some of the best insults of all the Shakespeare I've read so far. Touchstone the Fool gets some of the funniest lines. I'd love to play that part. I know, it's a man's part, but I'd be willing to disguise myself for the pleasure of delivering those lines. I'm six feet tall, so I could probably pull it off with the right costume to hide my womanly curves. Maybe I should start taking steroids to deepen my voice and get ready for my performance. Why not? All the female roles were played by boys back in Shakespeare's day, so why not turn the tables and let me play Touchstone?Rosalind gets some pretty good lines too, especially when she's disguised as "Ganymede." Maybe I could go for that role. She gets to say "Tis such fools as you/That makes the world full of ill-favored [that means UGLY] children." HA! And she tells Phoebe: "Sell when you can; you are not for all markets." OUCH! Or I could be Jaques (pronounced "Jakes" and/or "Jake-wees"). He's got that great "All the world's a stage" speech, and some good insults, too. "...in his brain/Which is as dry as a remainder biscuit after a voyage."Hmmm...so many roles, so little time. And, well...so little talent... But I can't let that stop me. I'll let you all know when I'm ready for my stage debut.