How Not to Be a Dick: An Everyday Etiquette Guide

How Not to Be a Dick: An Everyday Etiquette Guide - Meghan Doherty Rating = 3.5 starsHmmmmm...how do I review this without being dickish?This book was irresistible to me because it was listed as children's nonfiction. "How," I asked myself, "does one discuss dickful behavior with that age group? And what parent would let his/her kid read it?" Turns out the book is directed at teenagers, and one teaches etiquette by using juvenile humor, (which I admit I loved), and by talking a lot about cheese. Yes, cheese. If you want to avoid being a dick, never insult another person's cheese log. And don't steal anyone's gouda from the communal refrigerator. And while we're on the subject of foodstuffs, "Is that a baguette in your pocket?" is probably not the most tactful way to greet someone. How Not to Be a Dick is essentially a more realistic version of How to Win Friends and Influence People. That book never addressed the social issues we really care about, but Meghan Doherty has come to the rescue. To wit: 1) Don't leave pee on the seat. 2) Pee in the toilet, not in the shower.3) Don't throw hair on the wall in the shower. 4) Don't look at someone's "package" while you're talking to them. 5) Don't text people photos of your "bathing suit areas". See what I mean? Practical. Dale Carnegie, beat that.p.s. There's supposed to be an appendix called Get to Know Your Dicks, but my e-galley seems to have had an appen-dick-tomy. The pages were blank. So I guess until the final version comes out, I'm still in the dark about dicks.