Rules of Civility

Rules of Civility: A Novel - Amor Towles This is just delightful fun. It's a love letter, a limerick, a lollipop, a literary longing. Grab your shaker of martinis and your cocktail onions and take a ride with Katey Kontent through the streets of 1938 Manhattan. She's just a working girl trying to make it on her own, but with the right (or wrong?) friends, she manages to borrow a little glamour...and a helping or two of trouble besides. The book is not without its flaws. I was only going to rate it four stars. After I read the epilogue and then went back and re-read the prologue, I added the fifth star because I like the way it's constructed. I also liked the way he brought it all together in the end, drawing some poignant and profound conclusions. It may be that you can only appreciate the fellow feeling at the end if you've reached a certain age and can look back on your 20s with both regret and compassion for your young self and the friendships you chose before the weightiness of life settled in.