Faithful Place (Dublin Murder Squad Series #3)

Faithful Place - Tana French This is a murder mystery. Yes, it really is. Too bad the mystery gets pushed aside to make way for repetitive domestic fiction. Frank Mackey's family is of the Irish Catholic poorer class. The men are alcoholic and violent. The women are typical of any abusive family---placating, cowering, and above all, keeping the family secrets like good little enablers. Nothing new there. A bit of a snore, actually. French's writing is up to its usual standards with regard to form, style, and dialogue. The Irish speech patterns here are interesting for those of us who don't read much from the more traditional Irish yarners. I love the way French's characters insult each other. And the line about ZZ Top had me laughing so hard I was snorting! Then I got a fit of the giggles and laughed till my ribs hurt. Unfortunately, the plot execution in Faithful Place doesn't measure up to her previous work. She does finally come back around and let Mackey solve the mystery, but it's not a credit to the genre. I figured out early on who did it. It's so transparent that I thought surely I must be wrong. I wasn't. The "why" of the murder(s) is a little more interesting, but also somewhat predictable. Oh, and Ms. French, the expression is "spit and image," not "spitting image." No expectorating relatives, please. [If you are humor challenged, please don't bother leaving a comment telling me I'm wrong about this. I've already deleted two snootyboots comments to this effect. Just lighten up and stop taking yourself and everyone else so seriously.]