The Barbarian Nurseries

The Barbarian Nurseries: A Novel - H├ęctor Tobar This lardful lump of language is heavy-handed and implausible. It took me nearly six weeks to finish, when it should have taken one to two weeks at most. Some days I could only read two or three pages. Not only is the story slow-moving and tedious, but the author's agenda is overpowering. Whenever he wants to be sure you get his point, he spells it out by putting it fully formed into the thoughts of one of the characters. I felt like I was constantly being bludgeoned with authorial intent.The story becomes progressively more implausible after Araceli is left alone with the two children of her employers. It's just not realistic to think that her only solution would be to take them on a long trek across L.A. with only a hazy destination. The author makes a special point of letting us know throughout the book that Araceli is not dumb. So why would she do something so ridiculous?For all his heavy-handed treatment, it's hard to say after finishing the book exactly what points the author was trying to make. Unfair distribution of wealth is nothing new. Unfair treatment of Mexican immigrants is not news, either. Was he trying to say that Mexican immigrants are intelligent and hard-working and deserve some respect? Maybe. For me the message was cloudy and the story was not enjoyable.