The King's Deception - Steve Berry Poor Cotton Malone. He can't seem to make a simple trip from one continent to another without getting caught in a tangle of international intrigue. It's a gift, he says. He's a trouble magnet, says I. In this installment, Steve Berry takes us on a whirlwind tour of London's landmarks with the purpose of reminding us that "history matters." If you've come this far in the Cotton Malone series, you know that a simple plot description never prepares you for the complexity and convoluted path of the story. Seemingly unrelated plot threads gradually come together in un-possible ways, but Berry manages to make it work. Was Queen Elizabeth I an imposter? If so, what is the historical and political significance of keeping this a secret? While on his deathbed, did King Henry VIII reveal the secret location of a vast collection of Tudor wealth? And how can these things tie in to the pending release of a Libyan terrorist from a Scottish prison? Who is Gary Malone's biological father, and how does that man's identity have bearing on events taking place in London? It all sounds confusing, but just when you despair of ever figuring out the complex connections in the story, you can be sure some clarification will be forthcoming. It really does all make sense by the time you reach the end. Trust me. Fictional sense, but sense, nonetheless. Steve Berry always includes an extensive Author's Note in which he separates fiction from fact, and I always appreciate the additional fascinating information he includes in these notes. With each new installment, Berry teases us with the possibility that we'll finally get to find out why Malone goes by "Cotton" instead of using his real name. Will it finally be revealed here in book eight in the series? I'm not telling.