Schroder - Amity Gaige Bleh.Not bad. But nothing to call home about.Or make foam about.Or write a poem about. Which I just did. But not really. Because it wrote itself. This was an interesting concept for a novel, but it never achieved lift-off for me. I kept waiting for some revelations that would have made it worth my effort, but I never got to find out what I wanted to know. The narrator remains cagey right through to the end.SCHRODER is a road novel in the form of a confessional apology, with scattered bits of personal history and a few rambling footnotes. It jumps around in time and topic, but the bulk of the novel tells of a week the narrator, Eric, spent on the road with his daughter Meadow. He left town with her for what you might call an unauthorized extension of his visitation rights. Now facing prosecution, Eric writes this "document" in the hope that it will gain him leniency in court.What we learn is that Eric Kennedy has a secret history as Erik Schroder. At age fourteen, he renamed himself and created a fictional life history so he could hide the fact that he was a German immigrant. Lies lead to more lies, and there's never a convenient time to 'fess up once you've built a relationship with someone based on false premises.Eric's wife Laura knows nothing of his true history, but at times during their relationship she expressed consternation at the fact that something about him didn't add up. So the suspicion was there, but she never followed up on it. For me this was one of the big flaws in the novel. If you're married to someone and you suspect they're not being straight with you, you're going to do some research, or at least ask the person some hard questions. Laura never did, and this made the story unbelievable to me.Although much of the dialogue felt forced and unrealistic, the writing was otherwise enjoyable enough that I can give the book three stars. For the most part, my appreciation was limited to the writing itself, and rarely extended to the characters or plot execution.There's an interview with the author at the back of the book. If you decide to read this novel, I recommend reading the interview first. There's not really anything spoilerish there, and it might enhance your enjoyment to know in advance what the author was striving for.So. It was okay. I guess. But nothing I'd get a jones for. Or break bones for.Or bake scones for. Or make clones for. Or take out loans for. Or play the Rolling Stones for.Stop.