Jack 1939 - Francine Mathews I tried hard with this one, but it just wasn't striking the ol' ring-a-ding-ding for me...I stayed with it all the way to the halfway mark, which is pretty generous on my part. Not only does it feel contrived, it seems to be a deliberate smearing of the Kennedy family. I'm well aware of Joe Senior's pecker-dilloes, and his weird political ideas, and the manipulations that made him a wealthy man, but he had good qualities as well. He raised several fine sons who gave their all, and their lives, while working for social change, so he couldn't have been as odious as this author has made him out to be. And his wife Rose wasn't quite the hag she appears to be in this story. My Boston grandmother and great-grandmother knew Rose Kennedy and liked her. My grandmother was not one to mince her words if she disliked anything about anyone, so if Rose was that bad, I would have heard about it from my nana.If you disagree with what I've said here, that's just fine with me, but please don't waste your time trying to stir up a debate with me about it. I have all I can do just keeping up here on Good Reads without spending more time on a book I didn't care for. Thanks.