Mission to Paris: A Novel - Alan Furst 2.5 starsThis is a bland treatment of an intriguing plot idea. Fredric Stahl is an American movie star with Austrian roots. In the fall of 1938, he goes to Paris for a film shoot. The Nazis railroad him into serving as propaganda to boost their image. Furst spends the first 200 pages or so introducing an endless array of new characters, treating us to boring descriptions of various films, and taking us through tedious days on the movie set with Stahl and the film crew. The last 50 pages are more suspenseful, but it's not enough to redeem the book as a whole, especially with the puzzling element on the last couple of pages that made no sense to me. This could have been so much more exciting, given the reality of the German use of political warfare to shape public opinions and lull people into believing their intentions were peaceable. Olga Orlova's story was more interesting than Fredric Stahl's. Furst would have done well to make more use of her role in the novel.