The Man Who Quit Money - Mark Sundeen Daniel Suelo is a dumpster-diving, cave-dwelling, money-shunning philosopher. Rock on, brother. People who disapprove of his lifestyle claim he is a moocher, but that argument is insupportable. He gets nearly everything he uses from dumpsters, including food, clothing, the thermarest he sleeps on, and even a pair of binoculars. This is stuff that would end up in the landfill, so he's not taking anything away from others. He doesn't take advantage of government handouts such as food stamps and welfare, because they involve money. Suelo's purpose is not work avoidance, but renouncing participation in the money system. He works very hard, but refuses a paycheck. One summer he worked on a fishing boat in Alaska. The other crew member earned $10,000 that summer. Suelo accepted no money for his work. So, is he a little odd? Yes. Is he a moocher? No. The guy even eats roadkill. This is a quick read. I finished it in two days. Much of the book is devoted to various life experiences that led to Daniel's current choices, so be prepared to read more about his biography than about how he lives now. I could have done without most of the religious exploration, but I suppose it's essential to an understanding of who he is now and what shaped his hierarchy of values.