The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks - Rebecca Skloot 4.5 starsThere's something here for everyone. Some people comment on the human interest aspect of the story with regard to the Lacks family. Other people mention the cell science. For me, the most interesting thing was the history of informed consent, or the "Lacks" thereof. (Go ahead and laugh now at my clever wordplay. You know you want to.)It's hard to believe the bizarre ways people's bodies were used for medical research, with or without their consent. Even when they did give consent, they did so without being told exactly what would be done to their bodies. Too often the people used for the studies were the poor, the uneducated, and prison inmates. Back in the forties and fifties, "Many scientists believed that since patients were treated for free in the public wards, it was fair to use them as research subjects as a form of payment." YIKES! That's not just unethical, it's abominable.Rebecca Skloot's dedication to the research and writing of this story is remarkable. She spent pretty much the entire decade of her twenties in pursuit of the truth about Henrietta Lacks and her "immortal" cells. My only reason for not awarding the full five stars is that I thought the book could have used one more ruthless edit before final printing.