Long Ago In France: The Years In Dijon - M.F.K. Fisher I didn't know anything about Dijon except that a sandwich isn't a sandwich till you Poupon it. There's a lot more to it than just the moutard. This is the city where Mary Frances Kennedy Fisher was initiated into the world of food and wine as sacrament, to be savored and lingered over and held in reverence. She arrived in Dijon as a newlywed in 1929 and stayed three years. This was the beginning of her gastronomical education and set the course for her future as a food writer extraordinaire. I've never been particularly tempted by French cuisine. They eat too much stinky cheese and disgusting things made with animal innards and other revolting body parts. I could never be hungry enough to eat "terrines of pate ten years old under their tight crusts of mildewed fat." I could, however, grow happily thick-waisted on their pastries and other sweet, fruity delights. Papazi's apple tart with apricot glaze sounds heavenly!This memoir was written retrospectively, sixty years later. As such, it's heavy on description and doesn't convey the feeling of wonder as a young woman discovers a new world of food and language and culture. Nonetheless, it's an interesting perspective on expat life in France between world wars.[3.5 stars]