Reservation Road - John Burnham Schwartz I did a quick re-read of this book in anticipation of the sequel, Northwest Corner. My memory of my overall impressions of the story holds up in the second reading. Some great strengths and a couple of weaker aspects that do diminish the power of the book as a whole. If I focus on the things Schwartz got right, it's a four-star book. If I focus on the things he did wrong, it's three stars. I'm going with the higher rating because I do think the book is worth reading, especially if you're interested in the way grief and guilt affect behavior and thought processes over time. There are a few too many coincidences, and the ending should have been much stronger, but I won't elaborate on the complaints. There are three alternating viewpoints: 1)Ethan Learner: The father of 10-year-old Josh, who was killed in a hit-and-run on Reservation Road. He fixates on finding the driver who killed his son and exacting some sort of revenge. Ethan loses himself in reading as an escape from the pain and feelings of powerlessness.2)Grace Learner: Josh's mother. She slips into despair and inaction and completely lets herself go, pulling away from her husband and friends and forgetting to care for her 8-year-old daughter Emma. Her love for her husband and daughter does eventually bring her around to pick up the shattered pieces of her life and go forward.3)Dwight Arno: The man who hit Josh and didn't stop. He has so far gotten away with it, but the fear and guilt eat away at him. He slips into alcohol abuse and the violence he learned from his own father. His relationship with his 10-year-old son Sam has always been tenuous, and with the added stress of Dwight's secret, that situation becomes even more strained. I'm looking forward to the sequel, because the end of this one does sort of leave you hanging, although I can see the subtle statement Schwartz was aiming for. Second reading completed May 30, 2011.