Making Certain It Goes on: The Collected Poems of Richard Hugo - Richard Hugo I think of this collection as an unintentional autobiography. If you read the poems from start to finish in the order presented, you follow Richard Hugo's progression from loneliness to love and friendship, addiction through recovery, and depression to hope. Most appealing of all are his poems revealing his love of nature, and of beauty in all its manifestations. He visited places altered by progress and imagined the lives of those forgotten by history, those who loved and depended upon the land they occupied. Of all the bits and pieces of poems I could share here, this is the one that speaks to me most deeply of Hugo's essence: "Today I am certain, for all my terrible mistakes I did the right thingto love places and scenes in my innocent way and to spendmy life writing poems, to receive like a womanthe world in its enduring decay and to tellthat world like a man that I am not afraid to weepat the sadness, the ongoing day that is draining our lifeand is life."(excerpt from "Letter to Peterson from the Pike Place Market" p. 289)Tidbits on other topics: Friendship"The best friendswe remember took us home the way we are."Politics"One thing about politicians, they can never be whores,they're not honest enough. They screw men in ways that onlysatisfy themselves."War"Dear Charles: And so we meet once in San Francisco and Ilearn I bombed you long ago in Belgrade when you were five."Stones"Act friendly to the stone.Smile. Touch. Even pat its brown handand say 'good stone, good,' though of coursebe alone when you do. Don't get a reputation:'Creep with pet rock.'"(It's always a good idea to proofread your reviews before posting. When I previewed this review I discovered I'd left the "p" off of "weep" in the first excerpt!)