Small Acts of Amazing Courage - Gloria Whelan I loved this little story about Rosalind's awakening to her own capacity for compassion. It's a good way to introduce young readers to the lives of children of the British Raj. They were strictly required to always think of England as "home," and were often shuttled back and forth between India and England to satisfy British notions of propriety. But their real love, the home of their hearts, was always India. It's 1919, and Rosalind is lucky. She's fifteen and has managed to avoid being shipped off to school in England. Things take a turn when she becomes aware of her ability to make a difference in the lives of those who are suffering. She saves an Indian baby from a terrible fate, then attends a gathering to hear Gandhi speak. Her new activities involve associating with "inferior" people. She's also in danger of being considered disloyal to Mother England. Father ships Rosalind off to her aunts in London, but even this doesn't stop her from following her conscience and working for social change. The book is meant for middle-grade readers, but middle-aged readers can enjoy it too. It touches on a lot of important themes, most notably Gandhi's teachings on nonviolence to counteract the prejudice and hypocrisy of colonialism. My only wish was for a little more of everything. There were parts that felt a little rushed. The passages containing rich detail were so captivating. It would have been worth reading a longer book to get more of that depth. Of course, that's my adult perspective. I do think the level of detail is age appropriate. The story can be a wonderful jumping-off point for young readers to explore further in other books. As a youngster I would have been thrilled just to be swept away to India by a book like this. There's a nice little glossary in the back, and also an interesting Author's Note, which I recommend reading before plunging into the story.