Goodbye To All That - Robert Graves, Martin Jarvis I probably would have liked this better if I'd been able to read it in print. Alas, most libraries don't have it these days, so I was lucky enough to get the abridged audio edition from my library. It's only four disks, and the fourth disk is far and away the most interesting. The earlier disks are filled with the repetitive miseries of World War I from the soldier's perspective, and also his strange upbringing as an English schoolboy. The fourth disk provides a lot more variety. He discusses the war mania in England, the letter from "the little mother," the Spanish flu epidemic, living in dugouts in the coldest winter since 1894, regiments stealing horses from each other for their looks, and a lot of non-war experiences and topics. He was plagued by flashbacks of WWI all the way up until 1928, most of them regarding his first four months of wartime in France.Graves discusses his and his friends' disillusionment with the war effort in 1917. Peace had been offered and rejected in 1915, and he felt the war's continuance "seemed merely a sacrifice of the idealistic younger generation to the stupidity and self-protective alarm of the elder." The same can be said of our war nearly 100 years later. Ever thus it shall be... There are a lot of interesting tidbits about his life and the world at that time, probably even more in the unabridged book. He met T.E. Lawrence ("Lawrence of Arabia")in 1920 and they became friends. After marrying, he and his wife moved to Cairo, where he taught English literature for a year. After his divorce in 1929, he swore never to make England his home again, which explains the title, Goodbye to All That.