Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance - Barack Obama I knew there was no way I'd ever read this whole thing in print, so I listened to the abridged audio book. It's read by the author, and it felt cozy to sit here right in my own home and have Mr. President tell me all about the first 20-some years of his life. This was written way back when "Barry" was elected as the first African-American president of the Harvard Law Review. I hadn't known it was that old. I'm very glad I listened to this. It really helped me understand what shaped the man who became our 44th president. I think he probably had the most interesting early life and family history of any American president. I can also now see how he was/is able to forge on despite bigotry and negative press. He had to develop a thick skin and a global perspective early in life. The part about his community organizing work in Chicago was pretty boring, but the rest of the story was quite fascinating. I loved hearing about his growing up years and his trip to Kenya in his 20s to finally meet his African relatives and learn the family's oral history.