Rules of Prey  - John Sandford Another Lucas Davenport weekend. After reading #21 in the series I had a hankerin' to go back to some of the early ones. Sandford has certainly improved his delivery over the years. This first one is heavy on the nonessential narrative summaries, especially in the first 100 pages or so. Rules of Prey introduces Lucas Davenport, the badass Minneapolis cop who plays by his own rules but gets the job done when no one else can. He goes head to head with a smart lawyer who is also a serial killer. The serial killer theme is soooo '80s! This was published in 1989, so it was right for the times, but felt a little tired to me lo these 20+ years later. I didn't read the series in order my first time through. I started with #10, which I ran across by chance at the library. I didn't know it was part of a series when I grabbed it, but Clara Rinker got me hooked! Had I started with this first one I don't know if I'd have continued with the series. I read them all out of order until I caught up. I give this 3.5 stars.