Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - Roald Dahl,  Joseph Schindelman If you ever want to cheer yourself up, go back and read a book you loved and read over and over as a child. For me, this is one book that will always be better than any movie they make from it. Nothing Hollywood does with special effects will ever be as magical as what Roald Dahl did with just plain old words. It has been MANY long years since I last looked at this book, but it all came back to me as soon as I turned to the first page and saw the illustrations. I was immediately carried away by the story. Even though I already knew how everything would turn out, I found myself rooting for Charlie Bucket to find one of the five Golden Tickets. And yes, I watched gleefully as the naughty kids paid for their bad behavior. I love the chants the Oompa-Loompas do after each bad kid gets his or her comeuppance. These guys are the original rappers! My mind was showing me hundreds of itty-bitty Oompa-Loompas in the background doing wild synchronized hip-hop moves while chanting to a rapper rhythm: "Augustus Gloop! Augustus Gloop!The great big greedy nincompoop! How long could we allow this beastTo gorge and guzzle, feed and feastOn everything he wanted to?Great Scott! It simply wouldn't do!"I've always loved to play with our English words that have more than one meaning, so passages like the one below tickle me pink (or pickle me tink, if you are The BFG):They streaked past a black door. STOREROOM NUMBER 71, it said on it. WHIPS--ALL SHAPES AND SIZES."Whips!" cried Veruca Salt. "What on earth do you use whips for?" "For whipping cream, of course," said Mr. Wonka. "How can you whip cream without whips? Whipped cream isn't whipped cream at all unless it's been whipped with whips. Just as a poached egg isn't a poached egg unless it's been stolen from the woods in the dead of night!" There's a sinister undercurrent in the book that I missed completely when I was a kid. I can just see Mr. Dahl chortling to himself when he wrote some of this stuff. Heh heh, that little bit about the whips oughta give the grownups a little hitch in their ho-hum. But everything comes out happy in the end. Even the naughty kids still get their lifetime supply of Willy Wonka's DELICIOUS EATABLES. Not to mention a nasty case of diabetes after a few years of indulgence.